Saturday, March 19, 2011

Toffee Chocolate Puff Tarts

Recipe 6.

Toffee Chocolate Puff Tarts
(from the Chocolate Box cookbook)

Makes 12

15 oz. prepared puff pastry
5 oz semisweet chocolate
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
4 egg yolks

Toffee Sauce (from allrecipes.com)
1/3 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp. water
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Before starting, pull out your puff pastry to thaw for at least 40 minutes. But don't let it dry out.  I thawed mine with a wet towel draped over it.  Cut two inch circle of wax paper and line the bottoms of a 12-hole muffin tin.


Once the puff pastry is manipulatable (actually a word), cut out twelve 2" circles. I used a cup with an approx. 2" diameter to cut out the circles. Then cut twelve strips and roll them out until they are about half the initial thickness of the pastry.


Line the sides of each muffin hole with the strips, and then press in the circle to the bottom.  Seal together to make a tart shell.  Prick the bottoms of each shell and chill in the fridge for half an hour.


Preheat your oven to 400. While the shells are chilling, melt your chocolate over a pot of simmering water (oh how I have done this millions of times..). Remove the bowl and cool just enough, then stir in the cream. Beat together the yolks and sugar and mix well with the chocolate.

The recipe told me to buy toffee sauce, but since I couldn't find it at my local grocery store, I decided to just make my own! Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, stir in the brown sugar, corn syrup, water and condensed milk.  Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla!


Ok, back to the original-ish recipe.  Pull out your tart shells and get ready for the exciting part! Poor a spoonful of toffee sauce into each shell, and then divide the chocolate into each shell. Honestly, pouring the chocolate over the toffee might have been one of the defining moments of my life.




Be careful! You will have too much chocolate! Don't fill the shells up too much, mine expanded much more than I expected. Bake for 20-25 minutes, and turn the tray around halfway through.


Cool the tarts, remove the wax paper, and top with whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder! Voila!



Reviews (from boys, I might add):

"Those were seriously the most delicate delicacies I have ever tasted. Danka."

"These things are sooooooooo good. I propose the name 'better than ___* cream puff brownies."

*editing of text messages done by yours truly.

1 comment: