Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Basic Yellow Cake

Recipe 13.

Basic Yellow Cake
(from my own head, with the inspiration from 4 or 5 different recipes)

I once again apologize for the lack of quantity and quality of pictures.
This cake was for the same rushed party.


Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups of sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla

Grease two 9" round cake pans. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. In your stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.  Add eggs, one at a time. And flour mixture in parts until each addition is well blended. I have a confession.  My cake didn't look very yellow, so I actually added a few tablespoons of buttermilk and then a few drops of yellow food coloring. No one ever knew. Pour batter into pans, and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Please don't overcook them like I did. I was devestated because I didn't have time for a redo. Cool for 15 minutes before layering and frosting.

Are you starting to see the correlation between mistakes and rushing? I have an issue. Take your time, people. Enjoy the process of baking, and don't decide last minute to throw a birthday party for someone. But look how happy the cake made everyone!


Except Mr. Lead Singer in the window. He doesn't look too happy for some reason. Perhaps my overdone cake offends some. But Ee Chien is definitely thrilled about the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment